Sunday 2 July 2017

2nd try || Training for the Amsterdam Marathon || 16 weeks to go


16 weeks to go...

Monday I went for a 30 minute run. And it took a lot of willpower...for the work day was long and stressful. I did not leave the office before 18:45. But knowing that a run would help me put some dopamine against the stress and irritation I was feeling, eventually helped me pull that door closed behind me and got me on a 4.5km run. Blazing through the streets with 2 Many DJs blasting in my ear, using irritation as fuel...until Spotify changed the game by suddenly skipping to Bob Marley's Don't worry about a thing, and I realised, that I shouldn't have a too emotional of a reaction. All bad things will pass. Everything will turn out allright. 
My calves felt extremely tight after all that energy, so I ended with a foam rolling session.

Tuesday, Vinyasa Yoga day! I try to get at least one yoga session in a week. I enjoy Vinyasa because it's a perfect balance of strength and stretch. It helps me align and straighten out, find my balance. But it also strengthens my core, legs, shoulders and arms.

Wednesday I tried something new: calisthenics. Calisthenics, for those who do not know, is a form of body-weight training that uses your own body as a weight. It's intended to increase not only strength and muscle, but also fitness and flexibility trough movements of pulling, pushing, bending, jumping and swinging from bars and rings.
It was given in this old industrial hall, which have it a real rugged feel. And of course, this one week I went, they did an extra intensive training....Where they not only focused on strength, but on endurance. Meaning, where they usually do 3 rounds of 12 pull ups, it was 3 rounds of 20. And where they did 3 rounds of 12 push ups, it was 80-120 push ups in total (see how you get there, just as long as you get there). Needless to say, I was sweating in all sorts of places and for one hour barely had time to catch my breath. Nonetheless, it was heaps of fun. The atmosphere was good and all the people there were really kind, helpful and encouraging of each other and me, the newbie.
But...the muscle pain, is so, so, so horrible. The next day was fine. No real issues. But Friday and Saturday where horrible! I could not stretch my arms for the life of me.

In order to help stretch my muscles I went to a Yin Yoga class on Friday and spent most of Saturday foam rolling my arm muscles.

Sunday was a day filled with garden work, and I closed the week off with a walk.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...